Onlays and Inlays
Call us today to make an appointment for your initial exam!
Onlays & Inlays
Here at Stansbury Dental Clinic, we want our patients to feel confident in themselves, and we understand the importance of keeping a smile strong.
An onlay or inlay is a restorative treatment similar to a filling. It is usually made from materials such as titanium, gold, or porcelain, while fillings are typically made using plastic resin or silver.
Why an Inlay or Onlay?
Inlays and onlays preserve as much of the tooth as possible. They are also better at sealing cavities between teeth, which is important for keeping out bacteria in the future. Because of their tailored fit, inlays and onlays are also easier to clean, and will not stain or discolor as resin fillings occasionally do.
Onlay or Inlay
- Unlike fillings, onlay and inlay procedures typically require two appointments.
- On the first visit, the decayed or damaged portion of the tooth is removed.
- A local anesthetic will always be applied before the removal process beings.
- The dentist will remove as little of the tooth as possible in order to aid in the restoration of the tooth.
- An impression will be taken of the tooth, and the inlay or onlay will be created in a lab.
- The inlay or onlay will be placed at the next visit
- Before the inlay or onlay is permanently bonded, the dentist will ensure it’s a perfect fit!